On Saturday, August 8, 2020, President Trump signed an executive memorandum (not an 'order') deferring the employee portion of social security tax (6.2%).
- Minimum wage in South Dakota is $9.30 per hour in 2020. For tipped employees minimum wage is $4.65 per hour in 2020.
- Breaks for employees – South Dakota does not require employers provide breaks to their employees.
- Final paycheck for terminated employee – South Dakota requires an employer provide an employee their final paycheck by the next regular pay date or as soon as the employee returns to the employer’s property. Withholding a paycheck beyond when the employee would have received payment had they remained employed is not recommended.
- Overtime law in South Dakota follows the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) rules.
- New hire reporting in South Dakota – employers must provide the following to the South Dakota New Hire Reporting Center: employee’s full name, home address, social security number, hire date, employer’s name and address and employer’s FEIN (federal employer ID number).
- Mandating direct deposit: According to South Dakota Codified Laws 60-11-9 (2006): Every employer shall pay all wages due to employees at least once each calendar month unless otherwise provided by law, or on regular agreed pay days designated in advance by the employer, in lawful money of the United States. An employer may pay wages by check, cash, or direct deposit to the employee's bank account, unless an employer and employee agree to another form of payment.
There’s a lot of uncertainty about work with COVID-19. That's why Paystubz has teamed up with The OSHA Store to offer a Coronavirus Workplace Bundle. The bundle includes everything your business needs to maintain safety AND compliance during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Last month, we wrote about some of the best things to do around our hometown of Rapid City. This month, we'll take a journey across the state, and tell you what to do if you find yourself in or around our state's most populous city, Sioux Falls.
Paystubz is proud to call Rapid City, South Dakota our home. And whether you’re here for business, on a road trip with the family, or just looking for a scenic getaway, there is plenty to do here in Rapid City. Here are five things we'd recommend if you find yourself in our neck of the woods.
Is it time for a better way to track employee time?
Tax laws come and go, yet many linger around, rarely spoken of. The rarely spoken of legislation we think you should know about is the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC), which can not only benefit companies .
Does your company struggle to track employee time off balances? Many do.
We wanted to take the time to ask our clients what they think of us. For our first 11 years in business, we were confident we did good work, but wanted to poll clients throughout South Dakota, North Dakota, and Montana, and know if they had a similar view about our payroll services, timekeeping application, and human resources solutions.
We all have great appreciation for the work our employees do for our businesses. And, we do want to pay them timely and accurately for their efforts. There's one more step an employer can do to make life even easier - saving everyone some time, money, and gas: MANDATE direct deposit! It’s legal for payroll in South Dakota (and some other states).